Effective communication and healthy relationships
DO YOU HEAR MY EMOTIONS?
A 6-WEEKS IN-PERSON PROGRAM WILL HELP
YOU RECONNECT YOUR LOVED ONE
Registration Fee: $120
Starting in January 2022
Healthy families are the basic bricks of healthy communities, and the core element of healthy families is the strong and effective bond between the couples. The quality of relationships between couples is the effective factor for the wellbeing of the whole family members and therefore the wellbeing of outer relationships. The relationship style between the couples would also be associated with psychological and physical issues on both sides that would lead to domestic violence, poor parenting, and poor children management (Chiorri, Day, & Malmberg, 2014). Such an outcome would end up in marital distress and divorce. Considering that 50 % of relationships in Canada end up in divorce and the rate is steadily increasing, we need to understand the importance of improving the effectiveness of our communication in order to improve the quality of our relationship (https://divorceandbreakup.com/).
With this program, we aim to help individuals learn common relationship problems and underlying reasons from which they arise. Couples will learn to be aware of their unhelpful thoughts and feelings about themselves and their partners by focusing on here and now with openness and curiosity. They will also learn how to listen to the emotions of their partners and how to address their struggles and needs with empathy and compassion. This program will be delivered by taking reference from the book ACT With Love, written by Russ Harris, an Australian psychotherapist, and physician.
The program has the following aims
- Understanding the nature of an authentic and meaningful relationship
- Recognize the differences of two sides of the relationship coming from different background
- Discovering one’s core beliefs about oneself and the significant other
- Understanding triggering factors causing unhelpful communication patterns
- Learning helpful communication patterns verbally or physically
- Learning to uncover secondary feelings
- Learning how to let go and focus on the present
- Practicing emotional reconnection with openness, curiosity, empathy, and compassion
- Learning to provide safety and trust
- Valuing and engaging
3. PROGRAM DELIVERY
This is a 6-week-program addressing individuals and couples who would like to improve their communication skills and achieve healthy relationships primarily with their partners and then other loved ones. Every session will be 2 hours once a week and will take place in the office in person. The couples may join or individually.
- Developing healthy patterns of effective communication is as important in our interactions with family members as it is at work and in the community. (Harris, V.W., 2014)
- Emotional communication is more effective than having conflict resolution skills (Viley, A.R., 2007).
- Positive bidding brings a positive response and both lead to the quality of the relationship (Driver & Gottman, 2004).
- The use of words and language play important roles in building empathy and compassion (Rosenberg, M.B., 2015).
- Secure and confident adults are able to express themselves more clearly and support and comfort their partners being calm and less aggressive in the case of conflicts (Johnson, S.M., 2019).
5. ABOUT THE TRAINER
This training will be delivered by Seniha Yildiz. Seniha has a depth of understanding of the underlying factors of mental issues and their impact on individuals and their loved ones. After completing master’s degree programs in Theological Studies and in Counselling Psychology in Canada, Seniha has developed the idea that personal unhelpful thoughts and feelings are the core elements leading to mental issues such as depression and anxiety, and relationship problems. Therefore, Seniha helps individuals uncover their core beliefs about themselves, others and the world, and works on helping them gain their self-esteem and self-confidence through their resources and strengths. Seniha is passionate about self-development and maintaining healthy families and relationships. Although the favours Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Emotionally Focused Therapy, Seniha integrated some elements of other modalities and adapts them according to the individual’s context and needs. Seniha has also enhanced her knowledge and skills on treating trauma-related issues and, couple and family counselling through certificate programs.