Research highlights the negative effects of persistent, high levels of stress on the mind and body. Workers in high-stress environments are more likely to develop secondary trauma, compassion fatigue, and burnout. A recent survey of 1,257 health workers showed that 50.4% reported depression, 44.6% reported anxiety, 34% reported insomnia, and 71.5% reported distress (Lai et al., 2020). The study concluded that there is an urgent need for mental health interventions that address the mental health of workers in high-stress environments.
To this end, the Resilience Plus program was developed to provide workers with brain-based interventions that help build inner resilience and positively rewire the brain to manage highly stressful experiences through comprehensive psychoeducation and daily self-care practices.
The program consists of 49 training hours divided as follows:
- Phase 1: 28 hours of core content
- Phase 2: 12 hours of training of trainers (ToT) + 9 hours of supervision
The first phase of Resilience Plus consists of 28 hours of core content divided across seven sessions that address the following:
Session 1: The first session of Resilience Plus provides an overview of the program. Participants will complete the informed consent and confidentiality forms as well as the Professional Quality of Life Assessment form that provides an overview of each participant’s mental health status.
Session 2: The second session will review present-day mental health problems associated with work, the signs and symptoms of the silencing response, and the development of a mission statement and a personal/professional timeline.
Session 3: The third session delves in-depth into the concept of safety, and its importance for the healing and recovery of workers in high-stress environments. Participants will learn how to use self-reflection tools to build self-awareness and an inner locus of control.
Session 4: During the fourth session, participants will learn self-regulation skills and techniques, how to implement them into daily practices, and how to manage lifestyle factors that contribute to self-regulation.
Session 5: The fifth session will examine the concept of self-efficacy and its influence on mental resilience. The session reviews the sources of self-efficacy and teaches participants how to build and maintain self-efficacy in challenging times.
Session 6: This session explains the significance of building a strong social support system for positive mental health. It guides participants on ways to strengthen their social network, particularly during stressful periods.
Session 7: The final session emphasizes building self-acceptance, a sense of purpose, and positive self-dialogue. It teaches methods of self-motivation and provides an overview of the program and the next steps.
The second phase of Resilience Plus consists of 5 sessions that include 12 hours of training of trainers (TOT) workshops followed by 9 hours of supervision.
Trainees have the option to participate in one of two streams depending on their personal goals: the first stream includes the core content of the training program and the second stream includes the entire training program (core content + TOT + supervision). Prices are adjusted accordingly.
The Resilience Plus program strives to create possibilities by engaging participants in a lived experience that allows them to discover their own abilities and potential. Resilience Plus provides trainees with the resilience and the tools required to respond appropriately to stressful work conditions. At the end of the program, workers will gain many skills that include the following:
- Recognize the physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms of stress, secondary trauma, vicarious trauma, silencing responses, and compassion fatigue.
- Understand the risk factors and stressors leading to secondary trauma, vicarious trauma, silencing responses, and compassion fatigue.
- Learn how to nurture an inner sense of safety and locus of control to facilitate the process of healing and recovery.
- Build emotional and mental self-regulation skills and abilities through lifestyle changes and proven daily practices, such as relaxation skills and deep breathing.
- Build inner resilience through brain rewiring principles and protective factors, such as nurturing more positive self-dialogue and strengthening your social support network.
- Increase and maintain self-efficacy levels through an in-depth understanding of the sources of self-efficacy and techniques for supporting self-efficacy.
- Understand self-care from a constructive development perspective.
- Use body-mind integration activities for brain nourishment.
- Become qualified to provide support to other workers in high-stress environments.
The first stream of Resilience Plus is open to everyone. Workers must satisfy one of the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the second stream of Resilience Plus:
- Have a minimum of one year of work experience in the mental health field, OR
- Be currently enrolled in a relevant post-graduate program.
The program targets individuals, international and local organizations, private and public hospitals, and companies. The program will be delivered virtually with the possibility of organizing in-person delivery if circumstances allow. Training groups are capped at a maximum of 15 trainees per group.
The first stream of Resilience Plus consisting of 28 hours of core content is USD $300. The second stream of Resilience Plus consisting of a total of 49 hours of core content, TOT, and supervision is USD $500. The early bird cost for the second stream is USD $400.
We accept all types of payment methods, including Visa, Mastercard, cash, e-transfers, and PayPal. Please contact us if none of these methods work for you or if you would like to pay using a different method.
A 20% discount is offered for NGO workers and students in the mental health field. We also offer a 25% discount for group signups, with a minimum of 3 members. Only one type of discount is applicable at a time.
At the end of the program, all trainees will receive a signed Certificate of Completion that verifies participation in this program.